Our First Experience with Therapeutic Listening

by Tim on August 7, 2008

Tuesday we tried something with J-Man’s OT called “Therapeutic Listening” (officially, it’s a trademarked term by somebody). You may have come across this under terms like ‘auditory therapy’, ‘auditory training’, ‘listening therapy’, and a host of other terms. I don’t understand how all this works very well at all, and there are different approaches to make things more complicated in learning about it. Here are some sites that give you an overview. I’d suggest reading them in this order: Vital Links (about Therapeutic Listening ®), Tomatis, Berard AIT, and Samonas (whose website layout is a mess, but that’s another matter).

From what I gather, the above methods vary some from one to the other. The following describes what we did for Therapeutic Listening on Tuesday. Any similarities between my description and the actual science and technical bases for any of these methods may be pure luck on my part. Like I said, this is new to me. It’s the end result that left me astonished, and plenty fascinated to learn more about this.

The real basic, grossly simplified description is that the child wears special headphones that allow ambient noise (e.g., conversation in the room) in while he listens to specially-altered music at a volume about what normal talking would be. The music is specially modulated. I listened to it and it’s weird. For the CD our OT used, it just took regular children’s songs (Itsy, Bitsy Spider) – though the person singing it was quite good (about 0.5 Mahalia Jackson units) – but she also has Mozart, Baroque, etc. The child listens to it for 20-30 minutes each session, though we only did 10 since it was the first time. For people with normal auditory response, it’s likely going to be annoying, which it was. For its intended audience, it’s supposed to have a completely different effect.

The idea is that this music calms the systems of some kids with sensory processing problems and helps them focus much better on tasks and what’s going on around them in general. It can also help autistic kids who generally have a hard time differentiating sounds when they hear many things at once (a conversation in a room + a TV + a fan + themselves, etc.) and getting their brains to naturally decide what’s important to listen to and what isn’t, something many of us take for granted. Given that one of those sounds might be themselves trying to talk, not being able to correctly hear oneself talking certainly makes learning to talk very hard. Hence this method apparently can help speech delayed kids improve their communication.

Here’s the interesting part – occasionally it’s like someone took the bass and treble knobs in each hand and jacked them in opposite directions really fast and then back again. Other times it has a bit of static like someone quickly tuned slightly off channel on a radio (but you could still hear some of the station) and then back. Still other times the music sounds muddy or tinny and so on. It’s really hard to describe. The headphones are spendy, but the idea is that they have extremely good frequency response to both keep up with the quick changes but also accurately reproduce the sounds. Like I said, they also allow ambient noise in, like people talking in the room.

OK, enough preamble. Here’s what I completely did not expect to happen.

J-Man hates having people mess with his head and ears. These are full, over-the-ear, cup headphones. I figured he would rip them off immediately. pitch a fit, and that would be that. She turned the music on, then put the headphones on him after doing a volume check on herself, he flinched for a second like he was going after them, then he just stopped, closed his eyes (and put a hand and one arm over his eyes), curled up into the OT’s lap, and appeared to be OUT. He looked like he was asleep. He may have been asleep. It was hard to tell. Neither of us could believe that given how fidgety he is, but there it was.

So we kept talking (he should have been able to hear us through the headphones) and that got no reaction. We checked his pulse; it seemed about normal. None of his normal cues of distress, or of anything bad. I’m so used to having to read his non-verbal cues for anything beyond “points to cup picture = thirsty” that when he does something completely new, it’s disconcerting to me. This was one of those times. But he gave none of his normal reactions that would indicate overstimulation, fear, pain, etc. It literally was like someone flipped a switch in him and put him to sleep for 10 minutes. I’ve never seen him do this, but I couldn’t see any negative reactions on his part within that.

At first I thought he was dropping out entirely and perseverating on the music (not an outcome you want for kids who naturally fixate on stuff). But this sure seemed like something else as I have a good sense of what perseverating looks like for him. While music is very calming to him, I’ve never seen this kind of reaction to it. I still don’t know what it was. The OT was stumped too. Of all the kids she’s worked with, she said none have had this kind of response.

We’ve kept an eye on him since and noticed no ill effects. Actually he seemed somewhat less sensory-seeking and less upset than usual. This certainly isn’t a scientific analysis or anything, but it certainly is intriguing.

Anyway, I’ve wanted to try this just to see and our OT is trained in Therapeutic Listening. I really didn’t think it would amount to anything nor did I think he’d even cooperate. Boy was I wrong, though I still don’t understand exactly what happened. After a couple of days to ponder it, I’m really interested in trying this again. I feel like something positive happened, though I’d like to understand why. Yet more reading up to do.

If anyone has experience with any of these auditory therapies, we’d love to hear from you.

Posts that hopefully are similar:

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Debby December 2, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Hi, I just stumbled across your site. I have a two and a half year old boy with Autism. We just started theraputic listening as well. It’s been the same way for us. He’s totally comatose and calm when he has the headphones on. He even fell asleep at the OT’s (and he doesn’t even nap). We bought the stuff to do it at home and just started yesterday. Tonight he had a fit when we thought he was asleep and took them off. I’m not sure what that’s about but I suppose we’ll keep it up. Anyway, glad to find your blog. I’ll stop by again.

Tim December 4, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Debby,

Slowly and over time, our son began to ‘snap out of it’ and become more and more interactive. The OT said at first that if that’s how he was to just let him be. She did say that it was important to try to have some sensory activity going on even if he was out of it. We sat him on the peanut ball, which at least made his body do something.

Within a week or so, he was generally pretty alert but noticeably calmer during activities than he was without them. He would do one puzzle right after the other or do his core muscle exercises on the peanut ball or whatever. It was quite a big change in him vs. not having the headphones. The fact that he would sit for 20-25 straight minutes doing these activities was a major leap forward for us.

Within a couple of months, he attended to activities very well without the headphones, so we haven’t been using them lately. I can’t say the headphones did all that for him, but I think the combination of intensive educational, behavioral, and sensory therapies, preschool starting, and things like therapeutic listening combined in some way to help him make this big step forward.

I do think preschool probably deserves the larger chunk of that credit. The highly-structured nature and intensity of it plus many improvements we’ve gotten at home have made an incredible difference.

However it happened, the last couple of months have been great for him.

Julie December 20, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Debby,

I have an almost 4 yr old boy. He has sensory processing difficulties and was speech delayed. He still has language formulation issues and he stutters. We began intensive private OT, PT, and speech (in combination with two preschools, swimming, and karate) this past summer and fall/winter. He had been in our state’s early interventions and public school special services as well.

We did 16 weeks of therapeutic listening this fall (a CD for 2 weeks at a time, about 30 minutes twice a day – 8 CDs total). I think it did make a difference for my son. He was calmer and more focused. He also became potty-trained after listening to two CDs focused on homeostatic function. That was the thing that was striking to me. One day I am fighting with him to get him to poop on the potty (and him absolutely refusing to), the next he gets up and poops on the potty all by himself and he is potty-trained. That was the day before we finished the second homeostatic CD. He had a one-time relapse where he chose to poop in his underwear rather than use the toilet, but that is it. Literally, like a switch flipped for him.

We have stopped the listening, but I am noticing a difference in his behaviors – I think we may go a second round in January.

I hope this works as well for you as it has for us.

Debby December 21, 2008 at 11:14 am

Thank you Tim and Julie. I only hope our experience will be positive. Peter was doing great with the listening for two weeks and then the headphones broke and we had to exchange them and we lost our routine. Now he screams if he sees them coming “BYE BYE SONGS”…we’re on our way to OT in a few minutes and I’m hoping that we can re-introduce him with the help of our wonderful OT. He was so much more mellow when he was tolerating them.

Continued success to all of us and happy holidays.

Debby

Tim December 21, 2008 at 8:15 pm

@Julie – How’s karate working? I know you have to really hunt around to find one to work with special needs kids, but they do exist. I’ve heard excellent results with martial arts from a couple of people I’ve run into.

Were you using the (capital letters) Therapeutic Listening CDs (the ones trademarked by Vital Sounds, or some company related to them), or was it another of the auditory therapies? I hadn’t heard of the homeostatic CDs, but we’ve haven’t gone through all the Therapeutic Listening CDs, either. That could be my own ignorance showing.

That’s so awesome about the potty training. We admit that we’re dreading that.

@Debby – I’m curious to hear what your OT said. I don’t know if your OT has him on a ‘sensory diet’, but if in general you do brushing, compressions, heavy work, or anything like that either in preparation for a difficult activity (we used to have to do it before any desk work) or just as a way of reducing sensory overload, it might be worth trying a course of whatever your routine is there before bringing the headphones out.

Sometimes in our case, if we could just get the headphones on him, we’d be OK. I’d set the whole thing up ahead of time and have the music playing. The second we got them on him, he was fine. Of course, every situation is different. We’re constantly stumbling on answers by trial and error. I’m interested to hear what ends up working for you. Let us know what you find out.

(Debby – sorry your comment went to moderation. I don’t know why that happened. The blog software didn’t mean anything personal by it. :-) )

asha December 29, 2008 at 8:30 pm

bella is hypersensitive to noise even craking of a chair startles her.Now her OT has suggested vestibular dysfunction , the brush and joint compressions(OT sessions yet 2 start), how will they handle noise?
I specifically told her about noise , should I mention this in one of her sessions ?SHe is delayed in speech , and we (I ) have stopped going to shops restaurants etc etc , she cant bear it.
I read about this therapeutic listening ,it might help my girl .

Tim December 29, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Asha – One of the hardest parts of dealing with sensory issues to me has been in trying to figure out how one part of the sensory system affects another and what combinations of therapies will address this incredibly complex problem. What’s also both interesting and confusing is that one therapy for one sense can also offer great improvements for other parts of the sensory system even though they seem completely unrelated to each other.

I’m a huge fan of brushing and joint compressions. That isn’t to say everyone should do it because if it’s not appropriate to your child’s needs or if you do it incorrectly, you could make matters worse. That said, when done correctly under the direction of a qualified OT, brushing and joint compressions can provide marked improvements in behaviors and sensory problems.

Vestibular problems often require another set of activities to address. Our son has had a lot of these problems too. One of the most useful things we tried is an exercise ball. (Something like this one.) You can put your child on them (with your hands around them of course) and move them forwards, backwards, side-to-side, sitting up, on their backs, on their tummies, etc. in controlled movements. The idea is that by exposing children in controlled, safe ways to different vestibular inputs, you can slowly get them used to those feelings and hopefully desensitize them to the scary feelings it gives them now. If you’re like us, you may learn that your daughter loves going in certain directions and is scared half to death of going in other directions.

Sound sensitivity is a tough one. That’s not been a huge problem for us for the last few months. It’s not at all uncommon for our children to have a very hard time differentiating sounds. Imagine 50 people talking to you at once in their loudest shouting voice and you having to figure out exactly what one of them is saying to you. This is pretty much what our children can be dealing with.

The idea behind Therapeutic Listening is to help children learn to differentiate sounds from each other and improve their ability to filter what’s important and what’s not. People with normal auditory systems can talk to and understand another person in a conversation even in a noisy room like a crowded restaurant. Many times, our children have no way of being able to do that without a lot of help.

Therapeutic Listening and other auditory therapies (see links at the top of this article) seek to help our children learn to eventually do this on their own. There are mixed reports about how well this works, and personally I thought it sounded a bit far-fetched when I first heard about it. But we noticed a significant change for the good in our son while he was listening to the music with the headphones on, and our careful observations seem to indicate that this benefit lasted for some time even after we took the headphones off of him.

While this wasn’t so much true in our case, I have heard that auditory therapies can help some children with their speech. The idea there being that a vital part of our ability to speak is the ability to be able to hear ourselves speaking. If they can’t differentiate their own voice from all the other sounds hitting their auditory systems, then speech can be impaired because they can’t truly hear the sounds their voices are making. It’s a bit more complex than this, but that’s the general idea.

So, I don’t really understand all the science and theory behind it, but I think for at least some children it does help. It’s important to find an OT or other professional who is trained in the particular therapy you want to use, of which Therapeutic Listening is just one. Therapeutic Listening isn’t hard to do once you learn it, but it’s very hard to get the CDs and equipment without working under the direction of an OT certified in that method.

In the meantime, you could try ear protection headphones like the ones they use in certain factories. (I found one example at this link, though this is just an example. I’ve not used this particular product.) One student in our son’s class used something like this for a while with some success. If you can convince your daughter to wear them, they may really help when you’re out in public.

Ear protection headphones like this aren’t going to help her become less sensitive to noise on her own like therapies would try to do, but they might buy you an hour or two of less stressful time out in public.

Julie December 30, 2008 at 12:12 am

Tim – I think that karate is helping my son. He has been in it for about 16 weeks (2x a week) now. He attends at the end of a long day, so focus can be a challenge sometimes. But our karate teacher does a lot of drills that the physical and occupational therapists do. For example, he sets up obstacle courses or has the kids attempt to punch a pad that he throws in front of them from the side (they punch it as it goes by – he throws it veeeerrryy sloowwllyy for my son). Then, of course there are the basic punches, kicks, and calisthenics (like mountain climbers) that require balance, strength, body awareness, motor planning, and bilateral coordination. It also provides practice at listening to verbal directions about physical movements (my son needs a lot of practice with this). Our teacher typically starts children at 4 yrs old, but he allowed my son to start at 3.5 yrs old (I should mention that his 7 yr old sister has been in this program for almost 2 yrs, so we know the instructor pretty well and my son is motivated to do this). Basically, I described my son’s profile and what I thought he could gain from participating and asked the instructor if he would be willing to take him on. He agreed. I definitely think that this has helped him in a number of ways – I view it as one component in this huge therapuetic/intervention scheme we have devised.

The therapuetic listening – we purchased Sennheiser 500A headphones from Vital Links and we are fortunate enough to be able to “check out” CDs (also from Vital links) from our OT so we avoided having to purchase them. The OT made a listening plan based on my son’s difficulties. Each CD focuses on specific functions. BTW – we also brushed and did joint compressions for about 1 month prior to beginning the listening and continued for about a month while listening.

Asha – I think (as crazy as it sounds) that therapeutic listening may actually help organize the auditory system so that your daughter won’t be so sound sensitive. I would try to find an OT who can provide therapy from a sensory integration perspective and who is knowledgeable about therapeutic listening. A therapist with those qualifications will be your best resource. In our case, my son wasn’t attending very well to environmental sounds. For example, one day we were in the therapy gym and a baby about 10 feet away began screaming and crying. My son did not attend to that at all. A couple of weeks into the listening regimen, we were in the gym and a girl was running around the room with abandon and began jumping on a trampoline speaking loudly. My son gave her dirty looks and ultimately said “she’s loud.” His therapist was ecstatic – he was beginning to attend to the auditory environment. BTW – my son also had speech delay and currently we are working on language processing and stuttering. His language has improved dramatically on all fronts – now, was it the speech therapy, therapuetic listening, OT, PT, maturation, or all of these combined – we’ll never know. . . .good luck in seeking help for your daughter.

Tim December 30, 2008 at 1:05 am

Thanks, Julie! Great comments all the way around there.

I’m really happy for you that you found a good karate instructor. I’ve heard great things from parents who found an understanding, skilled instructor to work with. There don’t seem to be many who are willing to work with our kids, but they are out there.

We still have a very hard (OK, maybe impossible) time getting our son to follow a multi-step sequence of things like running an obstacle course or assembling a container of Duplos. Come to think of it, this sounds like going to the moon at this point. At school they use picture schedules with the kids to sequence everything, and within activities there are variations of picture schedules to help structure the activity. One of these days I’ll write up how we do this as several people have asked me.

I really need to see if I can pop over to school one day when they go back into session and see if I can observe their PE class. I hear it’s a hoot, but I’d like to see how they structure physical activity. If you put the J-Man in front of an obstacle course, he’d stare at it for a second and just bolt off in whatever direction he felt like going in. It’s just too unstructured for him, but I think we’re making some headway there.

I’d love to get him into any sort of physical activity program like this during his breaks. We just need to find one that meets him where he is right now but still gives him some challenges. Sounds like something for his next parent-teacher meeting!

We have the Sennheiser 500A headphones (note – these are the only headphones anywhere that are designed to be used with Therapeutic Listening, and there is a difference between those and any other headphones) and have been checking out CDs too. To my knowledge, as a non-therapist you can’t actually by the modulated CDs from Vital Links. The CDs they sell to the public last I checked are the unmodulated ones, which do nothing except give you some ambience for your house. Supposedly you either have to get an approval letter from your OT or have your OT order them. And to do that, if I recall correctly, your OT has to be trained in Therapeutic Listening in order to be able to get those CDs.

BTW – In case you get to wondering about this, you can’t rip them from CDs to MP3s and use them that way. Even though people with average auditory systems can’t really tell the difference, changing the way the audio is encoded screws up the modulation effects that make the music what it is to begin with therapeutically. Oddly enough, I can hear some differences even though my auditory system supposedly is fine.

Our son also isn’t one to really pay much attention to people carrying on around him. He used to get upset when he heard babies crying and didn’t see a mommy going to hold them. Now he’s pretty much like, whatever. Lots of sound does overwhelm him, but for now he just withdraws or stims or crawls up into our arms or some combination of these things.

I dream of the day he tells me or anyone to shut up because we’re being loud. My luck it’ll be some very easily offended stranger who doesn’t like children, but I’ll be too busy celebrating to care. :-)

But the goal of all of these sensory activities (brushing, joint compressions, auditory therapy, heavy work, exercise ball work, etc.) is to help organize their sensory system. And when you find a combination that works, the results can be wonderful.

Julie December 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Tim – I hope I didn’t mislead you about karate. My son needs a lot of hand-over-hand (sometimes body over body) and verbal cueing help to complete most physical tasks (especially new ones). So, with the obstacle course for example, the instructor leads him through it (clearly, you must find an instructor willing to do this). He eventually catches on reasonably well over time (and, having a group of non-special needs kids to follow helps sometimes). I have even sat in on the classes to help him focus and guide him through movements. We are fortunate in that my son does respond to repetition – he does learn movements, it just takes a lot of practice.

Julie December 30, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Tim – another thing about the CDs. I have seen them for sale on E-bay. I didn’t know you had to jump through hoops to buy them. Maybe the E-bay sellers got them via an OT and are now finished? I was just thrilled to avoid having to pay about $45 each fo them, particularly when I wasn’t sure how effective it would be and since one only listens to them for a short period of time.

I want to be clear about one thing, though. Even if you can purchase them independent of an OT’s recommendation, I would never recommend that an untrained person try to implement this listening regimen alone.

Debby January 2, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone – I can’t get him to get the headphones on now. He was doing pretty good till they broke and we sent them back for replacement. Now he won’t have anything to do with them “bye bye songs”… Trying not to push the issue but I definitely see positive results when he is doing it… Lately, without the “songs, he’s been pooping in his crib and painting the walls. That’s totally “new”…our OT said not to use them before bed but I wonder if that might be the only time he’d tolerate them at this point. Of course, I’d have to fight him to listen to something other than Cat Steven’s Peace Train…so maybe the point is moot after all. :-)

Tim January 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm

@Julie – Thanks for the additional information. That’s really helpful. I’m glad he’s able to be a part of something like that where he’s both challenged and supported in an environment by people who are willing to work with him where he is. Repetition is a big thing for most of us, I think. Instructors, and anyone else for that matter, who are willing to be patient, understanding teachers for our kids are like gold. I’ve met a number of people like this, and it has really helped me to know there are a lot of good people out there.

Not sure why, but I hadn’t thought to look on eBay for those CDs. If you buy them from Vital Links, which I think is the only place you could get them ‘new’, then I think you have to have a certified OT’s approval. Otherwise, I imagine you could get them elsewhere. You’re right that the cost per CD new is pretty steep.

You make a great point that everyone reading this should follow. Do not do Therapeutic Listening or any auditory therapy without being under the supervision of a trained occupational therapist! This is very important!

Tim January 2, 2009 at 11:13 pm

@Debby – I was told that one shouldn’t use the headphones within 4-5 hours of bedtime, though we fudged that some. We tried not to go under 3 and things seemed OK. Since it had such a calming effect on him, we thought it could be a nice lead-in for bed, but we didn’t push that time window to see what would happen. We never noticed any adverse effects on sleep, but as with most therapies, the effect for one kid may be completely different from that of another.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the resistance and the painting. We put J-Man back in footed sleepers that he can’t really take off (of course, we’ve said that before…) so that’s at least for now remedied the get-naked-and-pee-on-the-wall thing we had going on for a while. We got a hand-me-down TV monitor for his room so we can spy on him if we suspect he’s doing it.

Resistance is such a difficult problem to unravel. There’s probably a ‘trick’ to getting past it, but who knows what it might be. It seems different for every kid. If you’re like us, you’ll trip over an idea one day and it’ll work. Let us know what it turns out to be! If somebody thinks of some ideas, post them.

I always love hearing what people’s kids have chosen as their Song Above All Songs. Around here we go through phases. Something is popular for a while and then immediately drops out of favor to be replaced by something else. Go figure. I guess don’t tell him that the 10,000 Maniacs did a very good remake of Peace Train.

Mauricio Hidalgo May 13, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Hi First Congratulations on the new member, he is adorable and incredible cute, he looks so much like J-Man.
And I Just have a question, I live in Spain and I want to Know where I can buy the thin for doind the lisening in my house??
Debby said they buy it and do the therapy in their house if you can ask her for me, where did she buyit I will really aprreciate.
Mauricio

Debby May 13, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Hi Mauricio,

We bought the headphones though this site.

They also sell the modulated CD’s but my OT told me that they only sell them to licesnsed professionals (the CD’s not the headphones). However, an OT can order the CD’s for you (or there might be other vendors out there…too)…

We have had lots of ear problems lately so not doing the TL. Tubes next Friday so I hope we’ll be back on track soon.

Debby

Mauricio Hidalgo May 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Hello Debby

Thank you very much for the info, I am going to talk to my ot and see what we can do.
I hope everything will go well on friday, and I hope he will be ok very soon.
Thank you again and thank you to the light house for help me conect whit Debby.
I will tell you how everything turn out.

Mauricio

Tim May 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm

@Mauricio – We got the headphones from the same place Debby did. It’s also my understanding that the CDs are only available through an OT certified to do Therapeutic Listening – so not just any OT can get them. People have told me that you can find them on eBay, but I strongly discourage people from doing this or any listening program on their own without being under the supervision of an OT certified in whatever method you decide to follow. There’s more to consider and follow than just putting the headphones on and pressing Play, so you’ll need someone to walk you through it.

Therapeutic Listening is the actual name of a particular method, and there are other auditory or listening-based therapies out there. I copied these links from our Resources page and pasted them in below. It’s worth reading up on what all is out there and getting a sense of all of your options.

I know very little about the methods outside Therapeutic Listening, but I’ve talked to people who have tried pretty much everything listed below and have had varying degrees of success. As with everything else, it’s trial and error to see what works for your child.

(Links)

Tim May 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm

@Debby – We’ll be holding good thoughts about the tubes. Luckily we’ve avoided that one, but several of our friends have been down that road with their kids. The J-Man had a big ear infection a few months back and about fell apart. I can’t imagine having to have tubes put in. Hopefully healing is on the way!

Green Trampoline Plea May 2, 2010 at 6:22 am

Slightly off topic perhaps, but a request for you to consider the ethics of buying cheap trampolines. Do try and consider, for example, the materials your item is manufactured with, the human rights of the employees where they’re manufactured and the green credentials of the retailer. And endeavour to repair your trampoline rather than discarding. Thanks!!!!

Darcy DeShazer June 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Hi,

My daughter Alexa is 4 yrs. old and on the Autism Spectrum. Her OT left us with her theraputic listening system for 2 weeks, while she’s on vacation and I can see a real difference in Alexa. I would like to buy some cd’s for her, but there is so much info. on the internet and different listening systems out there, I didn’t know what was best. Who can you recommend using the most? And can I buy the cd’s myself?

Thank you!
Darcy

Tim July 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Darcy – A thousand apologies for not responding sooner. You can read the Burnout post and see where we’ve been. One of these days we’ll get with it.

Up the comments thread a bit are some links to various listening therapies and equipment. Honestly, I don’t know much about any of them except Therapeutic Listening (which is the trademarked name of the method; it’s not a generic term for all listening therapies, though it’s easy to get confused by that). So I’m not the person to really recommend anything.

If what you’re doing with your OT is working for you, run with it. I don’t think any of these audio-based therapies can do any harm (at least I haven’t heard of any), and can be worth a shot if you can try it out without a huge monetary investment.

Last I heard, only licensed Therapeutic Listening therapists can purchase the CDs. You can find them, though, on a particular well-known, auction-based site (ahem) if you really want them that way. Not sanctioning that, of course. :-) I wouldn’t do it without supervision of a certified OT regardless. Don’t copy the CDs either. Not only is it not legal, it doesn’t actually work. The modulations of the music that make up the basis for the therapy are mangled by MP3 compression and other forms of reproduction.

If you have time, I’d be interested in hearing what you’re doing and how it’s working for you. Thanks!

Leigh Merryday September 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm

We had a one-time experience with it that was interesting. But money was tight and we were soon caught up in a family death, personal illness, and remodeling a home. At the time, Callum was having serious sleep issues still – night waking. But we put the headphones on his ears – which he would only leave in place if we took him on a stroller ride around the block. We returned 15 minutes later. He was incredibly calm and eventually fell asleep on the couch and stayed asleep all night. We still plan to try the program, but want to get moved in and back to a regular schedule before undertaking it.

Margherita April 9, 2013 at 11:37 am

Wherever would you get everything that information about Apraxia ?
I’m writing the dissertation on that product i’m having problems obtaining goods on the web about
it.

If you can help you me personally for this 1 i’d personally considerably obliged

Cheers Jorge